We ended up having 10 students-9 kids and 1 mom (who quickly morphed into being my assistant instead). My two teen girls were our helping hands. I never planned it to be such a large group, but most of the kids came as pairs of siblings and I couldn't bare to turn anyone away. Besides, it was a last minute idea and the end of the school year, for most, so we went out with a bang!
In my dining room, I set up a long, long, folding table which I recently inherited (it stayed up for the whole 6 weeks) and we started out with 6 sewing machines (4 being mine). We met once a week for 2hrs. in the afternoon. We could have used an extra 30-40 mins each week and we usually went a little overtime. It took the first couple of sessions to get the kids used to the machines and sewing terms and being comfortable with following the given instructions. By the end of the first session, we encountered problems with half the machines which ate up a lot of sewing time. I ended up putting 1 machine away for good, and which I'm still awaiting my sewing machine "guy" to come by to check out. So, we were down to 2 kids on a machine which in my head seemed like it would work but in reality did pose a few problems. I can see now that ideally, 1 person per machine is best and even more ideally everyone bringing their own machines is the way to go. And how I will do it next time, if and when there is a next time.