Friday, February 11, 2011

Early Valentine

   One of my daughters is moving out of state soon and so she gave me an early Valentine that she made for me.  It was so sweet and so beautiful. 

The lighting in this photo doesn't do it justice. 

    I remember my Dad always saying when I was young that anything I made for him was so much better than anything I could buy for him.  And this always made me feel better because I never had any money to buy him anything anyway.  But, there was always part of me that thought he would just say this to make me feel better.  

    One year, when I was in grammar school, I hand sewed him a tie.  I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.  He always wore clip-on ties and I thought that was because he didn't have the money to buy a "real" tie.  I can't even remember where I got the material from, I just remember that it was blue.  I'm sure I recycled some other piece of clothing that I found that was no longer in use.  Since I didn't have another tie to copy or even look at for reference, I just dove in and cut it up and started sewing, making it look like what I thought a tie should look like.  Ha!  He "ooh'd" and "ahh'd" over it and went on about how great it was and then put it on and tied it around his collar and wore it the rest of the day.  At night, he didn't untie it but just loosened it and then hung it over a hanger in his closet.  I'm not even sure that he ever wore it out anywhere, but just seeing that big loop hanging on his hanger and  thinking about how excited he seemed when he unwrapped it, made me feel so good.  (I'm smiling now and still feeling good)

     Well, now that I'm an adult and a mother, I totally understand and completely agree with my father's sentiment.  As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing in the stores that can compare with something that one of my children have taken the time to make me with their own hearts and hands. (and apparently, it will continue to bring them some joy, as well.)

    I love my kids, they are so wonderful and such a blessing to me every day.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Survivor

(I originally wrote this within the first 6 months after my daughter's death. I didn't post it then, I don't remember why.  I...